Monday, June 30, 2008

Ol' Mission Buddy...

This weekend was really fun! I got to hang out with my old friend from the mission (Joaquín Molina). We had a really fun time and I got to meet his girlfriend too!
He wanted to show me around El Salvador but the weather was a little rainy so we decided to go to San Salvador and check out the mall. I was astonished by how nice the mall was. It was up to par with some of the nicer malls in the U.S. with GUCCI and everything. Unfortunately there was no Neiman Marcus to make me feel at home...lol (see previous blog).
Anyway, it was really nice to catch up with him and meet his family (I went to church with them). They are really amazing, hardworking people. Joaquín is working for US Aid--a U.S. government agency that helps subsistent farmers become more productive. He seems to be doing really well and I'm happy for him. He's thinking about continuing his studies at BYU so he can get a master's degree. It would be cool if he does move up to UT because I could visit him more often (although I'm in Central America more than I'm in UT...hmmmm). Anyway, we had a great time!
Today we finished up the last school. It was Kira's turn to be sick this time so Alice and I went to the school. It was a new school for Books for a Better World and they had contacted me to be added to the library sites. They seemed excited to receive the books so I think things will go well. It was a long, bumpy ride there through some of the most beautiful ranch country I've seen in all my long years of life! We saw a lot of cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys and grass...how exciting!
Anyway, it was a fun weekend/day! We're probably going to head to the beach for a few days now that we're done with our work in this area. Then Kira and I will head to Guatemala and Alice back to AZ.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to see and do stuff with Elder Molina. I remember when you used to write about him in your letters home.
Does he want to go to Guate with you? He would probably love to.
I'm glad to hear that you are doing well. Sorry that your helpers have gotten sick. I know how that feels.
Drive Carefully, Mom