Sunday, July 6, 2008

Feels so good to be back...

Hola amigos! It's been a couple days and I know you've been dying to know what I've been up to...lol!
So, in a nutshell, I didn't get to surf because it rained too much and the ocean water was too dirty (leaves and dirt that got washed in). My instructor advised me not to surf because he said you always end up swallowing water and with all the debris people get sick so I decided to pass. We had a good time nonetheless and enjoyed a lot of good seafood...mmmm!
So, we headed back to San Salvador on Friday morning so we could get ready for Alice to head back to AZ and Kira and I to Guatemala. We decided to check out a museum and take a look at the tourist markets before we left. The museum was really interesting because it showcased Sorpresas--miniature clay figurines enclosed in an egg-shaped enclosure. It's hard to explain but here's a pic:
Anyway, it was pretty interesting and I learned a lot about the culture of El Salvador. I ended up buying a set of "Sorpresas" which depicts the illegal immigration of El Salvadorians to the USA. The miniature details are astonishing and the set wasn't even expensive ($12)! Gotta love Central America prices!
So, after we went to the museum and checked out a tourist market I made my way back to the mall where I had gone with Joaquín last week. I met up with a new friend (Daniel) who I had met earlier in the week. I wanted to see a little more of the city and he and I have a lot of similar interests so we decided to hang out. We had a good time eating "Mexican" food and just chatting. He and his mom run a little business and we had a good time discussing how he runs his business and how I'm planning on starting a business and stuff. His best friend (Marvin) met us later (after he got off work) so we all hung out at the mall. We all had to be up really early so I got back to the hotel early. I love making new friends and I had a great time! By the way, as angelic as I may be that blue "halo" above my head is actually a sign for Nine West ;-)
Saturday morning @ 5AM Kira and I were ready to head to the bus station. There was just one problem...the taxi we had arranged for was not at the hotel! We were pretty worried because the bus to Guatemala City supposedly left at 5:30AM and it was about 15 mins drive to the stop. After a few stern (but friendly) calls to the taxi company our half-awake taxi driver arrived (at 5:20) and took us to the bus stop for TICA Bus. Luckily, the bus didn't leave until 6:15AM so we got on with no problem and our freak-out session was in vain, WHEW!
We're in Salamá Guatemala now and it feels so good to be back. For those of you who don't know, I stayed here two years ago when I worked with Books for a Better World. I really love the family that supports us here. They are wonderful people and we have a great time every time I'm here. It almost feels like I never left. Oh, and did I mention that the food at their house is SABROSÍSIMA (yeah, that's a really good thing for you English speakers)! Today Doña Carmen (the mother of the family) taught me how to make green beans fried with eggs. It was really cool because she whipped the eggs first which made a type of batter around the green beans. It was delicious and pretty easy too! I'll try to get some pics of the family because they are the coolest people!
Our books aren't quite here yet (thanks to Guatemalan Customs) so we'll either get them tomorrow or Tuesday so we can start the deliveries. This is a blessing in disguise because Kira is getting over her cold and she needs a little extra rest. I just hope they put a rush on getting the books here. I'm not holding my breath because I don't believe the word "rush" is in the Guatemalan dictionary...lol!

2 comments:

haole12 said...

Sounds like you are keeping yourself busy and meeting a lot of cool people!! Lucky.

Anonymous said...

darn, and here I thought my cousin had sprouted a haylo and wings ... darn! Glad you are safe and having fun ... missing you! We had our baby! CHeck our our page for pics. Much love ...